Friday, October 23, 2009

I've put up with a lot of SH*T

*Sigh. I must admit, I am tired. Exhausted, in fact. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall most days. Trying to take a stand for what I know is right, yet, each day, with every word I utter, I am met with stubborn defiance about the subject of broken families. Despite research that supports my belief that couples need to learn to work out their problems instead of breaking the home, people still insist that it's better for parents to break up than for the kids to see them fighting.

A prominent psychologist has done a 25 year land mark study to observe the effects of divorce on children. Judith Wallerstein followed 131 families for 25 years and observed the effects of divorce on children from toddler age all the way through adulthood. I've not only had to listen to my own beliefs on this matter be ridiculed and argued with, even with this substantial evidence provided by a professional, I am met with remarks like "that psychologist is an idiot," and other such disparaging remarks.

I cannot understand why so many people are what I would call 'quitters.' Not happy? Just get split up. The kids will get over it. It's better than seeing you fight or be unhappy.

BULLSHIT!

One of the biggest things I cannot get over is the parents who are divorced but were not children of divorce. They think their children are turning out just fine, when they really have no idea at all what their children really truly feel inside. These are the worst, because I was a child of divorce. I know what I felt, and I know what my children are feeling.

Yet, with more and more evidence and studies supporting my beliefs, I still find that people will 'disregard' the proof with deflective statements such as "that psychologist is an idiot."

I want to unite all of the people who hold my beliefs in high regard and harness the power of many to bring about change, but I am so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment