Thursday, March 26, 2020

1st marriage counseling session as a couple


Well, I hope no one is reading this hoping to hear of 'results' from 'marriage counseling.'  Because by my estimation, there weren't any.

We hadn't been in there 10 minutes when she asked him some question that he said he 'couldn't answer for fear of retribution.'

I said "I can leave the room."

They agreed and she said she would come back and get me in a little while.

I left the room and she came for me about 15-20 minutes later.

And when I went back in, she asked us a bunch more questions, and... I'm not sure what to make of the situation.

 She asked more questions, I answered.

She seemed to be 'sympathizing' with how 'busy' we are and how we haven't nurtured the relationship, etc, etc... then she admonished me for blogging about his job. Said I 'crossed a boundary.'

Then she ended it with 'I want you two to think of each other as a team.  We're in this together.  We're raising these kids together..."

But on the way home, he said to me, "I'm doing this because this is what you want."

And I asked him if he wanted to tell me what he told her, and he said "Just the stuff we usually say to each other" (then why the 'fear of retribution' shit?)

And I asked him what else he wanted to tell me, and he said that she asked him, "So you're here to stay together because it's what she wants?" and he said "Yes." And she said "But you're going to be miserable?" and he said "Yes."... but then, like I said, at the end, she's telling us how to be a team... so either they decided, without me, to 'ease me' into 'accepting' the end of the marriage, which I don't think would be very professional of her at all,  OR... there was some 'bridge' that took him from 'wanting to end the marriage' to 'being a team,' but he won't tell me what it is...

...so I'm more confused now than I was before.

I spoke to my mentor and best friend Michele tonight and she told me to kick him to the curb.  She said "I don't know why he thinks the grass is greener on the other side, but it isn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment